online services quick links

County Clerk and Recorder

co vote

The Clerk's Office provides a variety of services: click on the tabs below to find out more. Services include Document Recording, Motor Vehicles, Elections, Marriage Licenses and Liquor Licenses.

The County Clerk is an Elected Official. Kathleen Erie was elected in 2010, and will be up for re-election in 2018.

The County Clerk's office is also the Local Registrar office for processing birth and death certificates. Please see that page for information.

Phone number: (970)728-3954

Online voter registration at

  • General
  • Recording
  • Motor Vehicle
  • Elections
  • Marriage & Civil Union
  • Liquor Lic.

Phone: (970) 728-3954
Fax: (970) 728-4808
General Email:

Business Hours: 
Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm
Motor Vehicle Office closes at 4pm

County Courthouse
305 W. Colorado Ave, 1st Floor
PO Box 548
Telluride, CO 81435

Kathleen Erie, County Clerk
Becky Goldsworthy, Chief Deputy, Recording
Stacey Whitaker, Recording
Jacque Franklin, Recording
Brandi Hatfield, Elections
Jessie McConnell, Elections
Marie Thomas, Motor Vehicles
Vicki Gallob, Motor Vehicles
Stephannie VanDamme, Motor Vehicles and Recording

Staff emails:

Elections office:

jump Click on a blue bar below to open a topic window.

jump Viewable Recorded Documents

Viewable Recorded Documentsleaving san miguel county site

On May 1, 2008, the San Miguel County County Clerk and Recorder’s Office made certain recorded documents available for free public viewing via the San Miguel County Website. Such publicly viewable recorded documents will not include documents that are not eligible for public disclosure under the Colorado Open Records Act, such as sensitive DD214 military records, criminal justice records, marriage licenses or election records.

The San Miguel County Clerk and Recorder’s Office has made reasonable efforts to redact sensitive information including social security numbers and birth dates from those documents made available for public viewing on the County Website.

If you have any questions regarding any personal information on those recorded public records that are viewable via the County Website, please come by the recording office in the Courthouse, 305 West Colorado Avenue, Telluride, CO, or call our office at (970) 728-3954 and speak to our recording department.

jump Recording Fees
Recording Fees
  • $10 for the first page, plus $1 surcharge per document ($11 total), $5 each per subsequent page General Real Estate Recording
  • $.10 per thousand dollars on the document for State Documentary Fee beginning at $501 if applicable on property exchanges
  • $15 per page plus $1 surcharge per document for plats recorded in Real Estate
  • $25 for first page and $15 for each additional page in Surveyor's Records
  • $11 for UCC documents one to two pages and must have property on document
  • $16 for UCC documents of three pages or more and must have property on document
  • $.25 additional for each mining claim plus general recording fees
jump eRecording
eRecording is available through SimpliFile. Please call them to set up an account at 800-460-5657.
jump Copies
All requests require a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
  • $.25 per page for recorded documents; all requests must be full documents
  • $5.00 per page for plats
  • $2.00 for copy of marriage license
  • $.25 per page for Monument records or any other unrecorded copies
jump Certification
$1.00 per certification plus copy fees
jump Designated Beneficiaries

For information about Colorado's Designated Beneficiaries Law, please visit

doc Beneficiary Agreement

doc Revocation Agreement

jump Click on a blue bar below to open a topic window.

jump License Plates

Residents of San Miguel County must license vehicles at the Clerk and Recorder's Office in the Courthouse in San Miguel County. The State of Colorado levies a 2.9% sales tax on all motor vehicle sales, including trailers, occurring in or out of state.

Vehicles can also be licensed at the Glockson Building in Norwood, 1120 Summit St. Office hours are Tuesdays, 8:30- 4:30 pm.

For information on purchasing, selling or registering a vehicle, go to the Colorado Department of Revenue website exit, or call us at 970-728-3954.

jump Canceling Your License Plates
doc Affidavit DR 2283 For canceling lost/stolen plates.
jump Drivers License Bureau

Residents of San Miguel County can obtain/renew their driver's license in Montrose:
86 Rose Lane, Montrose, CO, 970-249-5426 [Map]

Or in Cortez:
360 West First Street, Cortez, CO [Map]

Many driver licenses can be renewed on-line. Additional information can be found on the Colorado Department of Revenue website exit

jump Registering Your Car

You must register your car within 30 days after moving into San Miguel County or within 60 days of purchasing. Failure to do so may results in late fees.
You can register in person or call our office at 970-728-3954.

You can now renew your car registration online exit. You will need your license plate number, renewal notification postcard and current insurance information.

Fees increased July 1, 2009. These fees are in addition to the regular or previous fees and my include late fees. The County collects a 1% sales tax on purchase from any retail motor vehicle sales, including trailers, occurring within San Miguel County. The State of Colorado collects a 2.9% sales tax on any purchase from any retail motor vehicle sales, including trailers, occurring in or out of state.

Requirements for auto purchased in Colorado: (Please note that these are a general guideline for titling and registering your vehicle. Because circumstances of each motor vehicle transaction may differ you may be required to present other documents in addition to those listed here. Please call us in advance of your visit so that we may review your documents.)

  • Title of the car you are registering
  • Proof of Insurance
  • Your Driver's License
  • Check or Cash
  • Lien Agreement, if applicable (from dealer)
  • Standard sales tax receipt (from dealer)
  • Bill of sale with odometer disclosure (from dealer)
Requirements for auto purchased out of state:
  • Title of the car you are registering
  • Proof of Insurance
  • Your Driver's License
  • Your car, for a VIN inspection
  • Bill of Sale
  • Odometer disclosure
  • Check or Cash
Registration transfer - within Colorado
  • Title or Current Registration (not more than 6 months old)
  • Proof of Insurance
  • Your Driver's License

Registration transfer - out of state

  • Title or Current Registration (not more than 6 months old)
  • Proof of Insurance
  • Your Driver's License
  • Your car, for a VIN inspection

Elections email address:

jump Click on a blue bar below to open a topic window.

jump Voting Service and Polling Centers (VSPC)

For detailed locations and hours and a map, go to

Office of the San Miguel County Clerk
305 W Colorado Ave | PO Box 548
Telluride, CO 81435
(970) 728-3954
(970) 728-4808 fax

jump All Mail Election

Every eligible elector will receive a ballot in the mail.  Ballots may be returned by mail or dropped off in person to a VOTER SERVICE AND POLLING CENTER (VSPC), at the indicated hours.  At each location labeled a VOTER SERVICE AND POLLING CENTER, voters may also exchange their mail ballots to vote a paper ballot in person or vote on an electronic voting machine, as well as register to vote, change physical or mailing addresses, or obtain replacement ballots. Note that the San Miguel County Courthouse is not ADA Accessible and no electronic voting machine is available there.

Mail-in Ballots are NOT FORWARDABLE. If you will be away from your normal mailing address at the time ballots are mailed, you may make arrangements for someone to pick up and forward your complete ballot package in another envelope. Or, give us a temporary mailing address using either exit, the Application for Mail-in Ballot on this website, or visit the Clerk's office at 305 W Colorado Ave, Telluride.

How to vote your Mail Ballot:

  • Complete the ballot according to the instructions on the ballot and on the Secrecy Sleeve.  Sign and date the back of the return envelope, under the flap, where it says “Affidavit of Voter,” seal the envelope and put it in the mail.  Be sure to put enough postage on for first class delivery and mail it early enough to be received at the Telluride Post Office on Election Day.  If you decide to send it by an overnight courier service, not by USPS, you must send it to 305 W. Colorado, Telluride, CO 81435
  • Complete your ballot according to the same instructions, but drop it in the ballot collection box at one of the following:
    • San Miguel County Courthouse at 305 W Colorado Ave – Elections Dept., Telluride
    • San Miguel County Annex at 335 W Colorado Ave, Telluride
    • Glockson Building at 1120 Summit, Norwood (available 24/7)

To check that your mailed ballot has been received, go to exit

jump Voter Registration

Online voter registration at exit

doc Voter Registration Form
doc Voter Registration Change Form

The Voter Registration Form may be filled in online, then mailed to:

San Miguel County Clerk
PO Box 548, Telluride, CO 81435
Please also mail a copy of your driver's license or state ID.

Voting Precinct Boundary Changes 2011
new Districts 1-2
new Districts 3-4

new Voting Precincts Map

There is a difference between the residency and registration requirements for State and County voters and Town of Telluride and Town of Ophir voters.

HB13-1303 changed the residency and registration requirements for Colorado voters.  To vote in  State and County and most school and special district electionsColorado, a person must be a resident of the location in the State where they wish to vote at least 22 days before the election.  For 2014, this means you must be resident as of October 13.  A resident may register to vote up to or on the day of the election.

Home Rule cities and towns were not directly affected by this legislation.  Hence the residency and registration requirements for the Towns of Telluride and Ophir are 30 days residency and 29 days for registration.  If you move into the Town of Telluride or Ophir, for example, 25 days before this election, you will be able to register up to or on Election Day and vote for State and San Miguel County questions but not for Telluride or Ophir questions or races.

If your Colorado Driving License is current, you may register to vote at exitup to Tuesday, October 28, 2014 and still request a ballot by mail.  After that date you may still register online but will need to go to a Voter Service and Polling Center (VSPC) as listed on the VSPC bar above to obtain a ballot.

You may register in person at the following locations:

County Clerk and Recorder's Office
San Miguel County Courthouse
305 W. Colorado Avenue
Telluride, CO

Norwood Town Hall
Office of the Town Clerk
1670 Naturita Street
Norwood, CO

Telluride Town Hall
Office of the Town Clerk
135 W. Columbia Avenue
Telluride, CO

Town of Mountain Village
Office of the Town Clerk
455 Mountain Village Blvd #A
Mountain Village, CO

jump Frequently Asked Election Questions

If you have any questions concerning voting procedures, or your eligibility to vote, refer initially to the information provided below.  Further details may be obtained at exitor by contacting the Elections office at the San Miguel County Clerk & Recorder.

How old must you be to register to vote in San Miguel County?
You must be 18 years old, or will turn 18 years old by the date of the next election

Who is eligible to vote in San Miguel County?
You must be a citizen of the United States, and consider San Miguel County to be your Sole Legal Place of Residence. For more info on eligibility, visit exit

Where can you register to vote in San Miguel County?
You may register to vote, make changes in your name or address, or provide any additional information at any of the Clerk and Recorder offices, at any town/city hall or driver's license office in the State of Colorado, or exit See Voter Registration bar for in-person registration office addresses.

How do I request a replacement or original ballot by mail?
The last day to request a replacement or original ballot by mail is Tuesday, October 29, 2013.  A replacement or original ballot may be requested in person at one of the Voter Service and Polling Centers at the hours and locations listed on the VSPC bar above from October 21 through Election Day.

How do I return my mail ballot?
In completing your mail ballot, you must read the Affidavit of Voter and sign under the flap on the Voter’s Signature line.  If you return it to one of the VSPCs (see bar above), it must be received by 7:00 pm on Election Day, November 5, 2013.  If you return your ballot by mail, correct postage must be attached and you must mail it in sufficient time for it to be received at the Telluride, CO Post Office on Election Day.

When is the last day to register to vote?
You may register to vote in person up until Election Day. For other methods, please see the Voter Registration FAQs at exit

Am I required to affiliate with a political party? For primary elections only.
To vote in a primary election, you must affiliate with either the Democratic or Republican parties, or one of the minor political parties, or a political organization recognized in Colorado.  You may also choose not to affiliate with any party or organization, designating your status as unaffiliated, but you will not be able to vote in a primary election or to participate in party caucuses.

How do I know if I am registered to vote and if my address is correct?
You may check your registration status at exitor call the San Miguel County Clerk and Recorder's Office at 970-728-3954.

Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting
Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act click here exitfor all forms and instructions.

Are there any costs involved?
There is no fee to register to vote. Should you wish to purchase certified documents reflecting voter registration, those may be purchased for $1.25 each.

Do I need to show ID to vote?

Yes, you must present an ID when you come in to vote.  The address on the ID must be from the state of Colorado.  The following are accepted as valid ID.

  • A valid Colorado Driver's License, or valid ID issued by the Colorado Dept. of Revenue.
  • A valid U.S. Passport.
  • A valid employee ID with photo of eligible elector issued by any branch, department, agency or entity of the US Government, Colorado, or any county, municipality, board, authority or other political subdivision of Colorado.
  • A valid Pilot's License.
  • A valid U.S. Military ID card with photo.
  • A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document that shows the name and physical address of the elector.
    For example:
    • A cable bill or telephone bill,
    • Documentation from a public institution of higher education in Colorado containing at least the name, date of birth, and legal residence (physical) address of the student elector,
    • A paycheck from a government institution or private company, or
    • A Certificate of Degree of Indian or Alaskan Native Blood.
  • A valid Medicare or Medicaid Card issued by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (formerly the United States Health Care Financing Administration).
  • A certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate for the elector issued in the United States.
  • Certified documentation of naturalization.
  • A valid student identification card with a photograph of the eligible elector issued by an institute of higher education in Colorado, as defined in section 23-3.1-102(5), CRS.
  • A valid veteran identification card issued by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs Veterans Health Administration with a photograph of the eligible elector.
  • A valid identification card issued by a federally recognized tribal government certifying tribal membership.

jump Click on a blue bar below to open a topic window.

jump Marriage & Civil Union Application and Fees

Applications and licenses are issued to couples whose ceremony will take place in Colorado. Blood tests are not required. There is no waiting period to use the license, but it must be used within 35 days of the date of issue and returned within 63 days after the ceremony.

doc License Application
NOTE: This application is an example of what information and questions will be asked of you at the time of your application in person. You do not need to complete it in advance.

Monday - Friday only 8:30am - 4:15pm
License Fee: $30 - Cash or checks only
Certified copies are $3 each

jump Application Requirements

Generally, both parties must be present to apply for a license and both must sign the application. The information requirements are:

  • Date and Place of Birth
  • Current Address
  • Your Social Security Number (If you don't have an SSN, your passport will qualify)
  • You do not have to be a US citizen to obtain a license.
  • Names and addresses of parents, living or deceased. 
  • Mother's maiden name. 
  • Marital status: If divorced, the date and the court where the final decree was issued must be provided. If widowed, then the date you were widowed.
jump Ceremony
A marriage or union may be solemnized by:
  • Judges or retired judges
  • Magistrates
  • Indian tribe officials
  • Clergy (out of state clergy need not be registered in Colorado)
  • Couples may solemnize their own ceremony
  • List of local officiants who may solemnize ceremonies
  • Witnesses are not required in the State of Colorado.
jump Age and Parental Consent Requirements
  • For ages 18 and over, no parental consent is required.
  • For ages 16 and 17, consent of both parents, or the parent or guardian having legal custody is required.
  • For ages under 16, consent of parents or guardian and judicial approval are required.
  • Proof of age is required to obtain a license.


jump Obtaining a certified copy of your license

Certified copies of your Marriage License or Civil Union are available at the Clerk and Recorder's Office at a cost of $3.00 each. If you are changing a name concurrently, you must ask for the certified copies in the new name. Please send a written request including both names and date of ceremony along with ID, cash or check, and a self addressed, stamped envelope to PO Box 548, Telluride, CO 81435.

Statewide searches can be done at the website for the Colorado Department of Public Healthexit (Vital Statistics)

jump Click on a blue bar below to open a topic window.

jump How to Obtain a Liquor License

To obtain a liquor license in San Miguel County, please call the Clerk's Office and ask for Becky Goldsworthy.  (970)-728-3954

For licenses within the towns of Telluride, Mountain Village, Sawpit or Norwood, please contact those towns directly.

jump Liquor License Renewals

All liquor licenses are valid for one year and must be renewed annually.  Approximately 90 days prior to expiration, the Department of Revenue should send you your renewal forms.  If you do not receive these, please contact Liquor Enforcement at 303-205-2300.

Please complete the renewal forms and return them to the San Miguel County Clerk's Office (not the state): San Miguel County Clerk's Office, PO Box 548, Telluride, CO 81435

Include two (2) checks with your renewal, one for the Colorado Department of Revenue and one for San Miguel County.  Please contact the Clerk's Office for the renewal fees.

jump New License or Transfer of License

The process for a new license or to transfer ownership of an existing license can take anywhere from 60-90 days.

It is highly recommended that you meet with the Clerk's Office when completing your application, as there are many requirements that need to be met to obtain a liquor license. Failure to meet any of these requirements could delay the application process.

jump Special Events Permits Guidelines

If you are a nonprofit agency and are planning to hold a liquor-related event at an establishment in San Miguel County that does not possess a liquor license, you must apply for a Special Events Permit. All applications must be received by the Clerk and Recorder’s office 60 days prior to the date of the event to allow for proper processing. Failure to do so will result in your application being denied. You may be asked to appear before the Board of County Commissioners.

Special Event Permit Fees are $10.00 if you plan to dispense 3.2% beer only, and $25.00 per day if you plan to dispense malt (regular beer), vinous, and spirituous liquors. You must pay these fees to both the state (Department of Revenue) and San Miguel County Clerk and Recorder.

jump Manager's Registration

All licensees possessing either a Hotel and Restaurant or a Tavern License are required to register their managers with local and state authorities. Should your designated manager cease to work for you, you must notify San Miguel County within five (5) days and register a new manager within thirty (30) days.

To register a manager complete the following forms:

  • Report of Changes
  • Individual History
  • Fingerprint card